It’s Day 3 of 2017, time to think about the 2016 goals I managed to check off and what I want to carry over into 2017 (only 362 days left in the year y’all). Last year, I did pull back on house-related stuff in 2016, due to travel, family visits and some other commitments. Having said that: I did manage to cross off some items that had been carried across a couple of years of houseolutions lists. If I didn’t finish them, I did manage to make significant progress (hello Daybed).
- Culinary and domestic skillz
- Learn how to pipe buttercream icing
- Make a gingerbread house and gingerbread men and women
- Learn how to knit
- Learn how to use one of my two sewing machines
Take a knife skills course
- Make more passata and investigate other foodstuffs I can preserve at home
- Daybed: make a mattress cover for it then transport it northwards.
- Wet areas:
- Finish painting bathroom cornices and fixing wall paint from last attempt to paint cornices (not a gift of mine)
- Patch and repaint areas in the laundry (there are a couple of plugs that need to be removed from the wall, I need to fill, patch and repaint those areas)
Paint external window frames(done, d.o.n.e. and DONE).
- Eaves: I need to repair, strip and repaint my Eaves. This relies on DIY Dad direction, and he’s currently busy renovating his house. So although I’d hoped to do this over summer, this will happen at some point in the future.
- Front garden:
- Topsoil and levelling of lawn
- Finish front garden bed:
- Buy agapanthus to fill in gaps and add some purple to the bed
- Planters around patio:
- Relocate bulbs in the patio planters (they need to be thinned and relocated from where I will be repointing)
- Once new homes for bulbs are located, plant in Dianella Little Jess to add some year round foliage and colour to the beds
- Relocate the reed/grass plant currently in the garden bed (to the front verge, sectioned and replanted)
- Passive Solar Measures
- Insulation: I live in Australia, y’all.
- Get universal tile ventilators for roof: Whirly birds destroy the roof line, imho.
- Termite treatment: I live in Australia, y’all.
- Front verge
- Plant front verge with drought resistant plants that attract pollinators and/or are native bush tucker foods (with the aim of total cost of plants being less than $50, so far no money has been spent :D)
- Mulch it like it’s hot
Some other goals that are optional and will probably not be achieved in 2017, but one can live in hope (and carry them over into 2018 and beyond):
- Buy some big (preferably retro) pots and trees for front:
- Yellow desert lime
- Fig tree: DIY Dad has a very neglected Fig Tree in a pot at his. I will be bringing it to mine and seeing if I can resuscitate it.
- Restore roof and then get solar panels: to make use of abundant resources and for guilt free electricity
- Not as pressing, but on the radar:
- I need to dig out sections of my patio planters, to enable those sections to be repaired
- I’ll need to remove all my downpipes to repoint behind them
- I’ll need to work out how to repoint in sections where there is no easy access thanks to a later wall being built (see next point)
- I’d like to get the mortar gun working (issues to do with quality of sand are causing the problem, according to my research), as that will help with some of the trickier sections
- Restore freecycled furniture in my garage
- Get stainless steel + sailing wire trellises for out the back.
- Carport: draw up a rough plan for what, where and how.
- Grey water system to water lawn.
- Re-roof garage: making it water tight and insulated with a view to turning it into a studio.
- Replace window and door, again making it water tight.
- Replace garage door, making it water tight (or at least so I don’t get leaves from the street blown into the garage).
- Invest in garage shelving to remove requirement for storing stuff on the floor.
- Spare room: build a murphy bed, so I have space for visitors and painting. Murphy beds are the coolest.
- Gallery hanging system: even if I can’t do the whole house, if I can do some of the rooms (or even just some of the walls in some of the rooms) it will mean I get some of my paintings and other sundries off the floor.