Another holiday job was to paint the exterior windows and doors to my house. Most of the windows are steel, some with a little rust that needed treatment, so it made sense to split the job into front and back door (and window)…and windows. Apart from the different pre-painting treatments required, there are significantly different drying times for metal paint vs wood paint.
Again, I had to scrape, sand and fill the doors and their surrounds. I removed the fly screens on the front and the back doors. The back door screen is in such bad nick, I have popped it aside to chuck. I have kept the front doors but as yet have not put them back on…since I intend to get security screens at some point this year.
The back door was in particularly bad condition in terms of painting surface: a lot of the original paint had peeled and flaked away, probably as a result of the weather:
Given the doors appear to cop a bit of weather (mainly the back door, but since I was on a roll), I primed with an oil-based primer and did 2 coats to ensure full coverage.
Once that was done, it took 3 coats of the British Paints exterior in Ironstone (it’s a colorbond colour, not that I have colourbond but it was really nice) to coat the wood. I even did the meter box out the front (in truth: while I was painting the front door, I completely blanked that there was a wooden meter box about 1m away that could also do with a paint…luck there’s a quick drying time on these paints, so I was able to prime x 2 and paint x 3 in 2 days):
I haven’d finished cleaning the glass to get rid of the paint accidentally splattered or painted on the doors, but that’s not an urgent job…
I did find the coverage of the wood exterior paint to be a bit painful: dark colour on light primer, so it took between 3-4 coats to do these surfaces.