Miss Fashionista has moved into her new house now. She invited me over there for dinner (which was delish). I got to see her brand new bathroom, beautifully painted bedroom and lovely retro furniture finds and we also watched some Smash (much as I hate musicals, I do appear to like Smash).
I took along her very, very, very practical housewarming present:
This is more for Miss Fashionista’s reference, but in case you are struggling to think of a handy present for a first home owner, the “welcome to home ownership” care package consisted of:
- A bunch of small and medium sized moccona jars (great for keeping sugar, spices and herbs etc in single lady household quantities)
- Tins (having a couple of spares is always good):
- Pearl Barley (Add to soups, warm salads: warm pearl barley salad or roasted root vegetables and pearl barley salad or make a pearl barley risotto)
- Pasta (Apart from the obvious, make a cheesy pasta side to go with steak or lamb, add it to soup or make a pasta bake)
- Medium Grain Rice (I use this instead of the proper arborio rice to make risottos, plus it makes the best rice when you are serving an asian dish like teriyaki chicken, stir fry or sticky pork)
- Jasmine Rice (Serve on the side with curries or 80’s garlic prawns amongst other things, but also use in rice salads and soups)
- Things it is a pain to run out of but you usually don’t realise you are about to until it is too late:
- Rock salt (add to your pasta water or chuck in a grinder)
- Black peppercorns (chuck in a grinder, or whole into stews or soups if you are hardcore…or have a cold)
- Raw sugar
The present was all about flexibility (you can do multiple things with each of these ingredients) and practical usefulness (they are all things it is very handy to have in your pantry). I listed some other staples in Cupboard Love Couscous.