You may (or may not) recall the daybed I freecycled in 2012. While it was in immaculate condition when I freecycled it, leaving it in the garage with the mattress on top of it was…a massive mistake.
The mattress got damp, and the top layer of plywood on the base warped and got mouldy. Even after treatment with Eucalyptus oil, the daybed needed restoration.
I ditched the mattress (but I did keep and clean the cover because it was RAD), but finding another one that matched the actual size of the daybed was challenging: it’s about 10cm longer than a normal single mattress, and about 10 thinner too.
So the restoration needed two parts:
- Rip out the plywood and replace it
- Purchase a king single foam mattress, which is cut down to the size required and then sew a cover for it (way in the future, as I don’t currently have a working sewing machine in the house)
I ripped off the plywood top in December, as part of my activities over my Christmas holidays:
That took an hour or so, and made a lot of mess because the plywood sits in little niches so you couldn’t take it off in one piece easily.
I then went on a hunt to find plywood that was about 3.6mm thick (you read that right 0.36cm) and that I could cut into the shape required (there are little notches at each corner, so it’s not just a standard rectangle).
I started by finding somewhere online where I could get it cut to order, cost $180. And then I asked DIY Dad if this is something we could do together after my sister (and new niece) had visited in February, and after I had been to Canberra in March (bridesmaid duties).
We were on track to do the plywood purchasing and cutting in April…then DIY Dad fell off a ladder and broke his ankle while I was away in Canberra.
After a long recovery, and allowing time for DIY Dad to catch up on all the DIY things he’d wanted to do prior to falling off a ladder and breaking his ankle, we were in the position to look at when we could restore the Daybed in August.
The first thing that DIY Dad did was check my measures (Which I had annotated using InDesign, so we weren’t referring to confusing hand written notes):
I am pleased to announce that our measures only differed by 0.03cm on one side (and it’s the one I could have gotten away with because there were no niches on the lengths).
We bought the plywood in August and I stored it in my spare room until we could tee up a day when we were both free to cut it down.
We cut the plywood down in September using my stone table as our cutting base (we measured and were very careful about positioning the plywood and cutter to ensure at no point were we going to cut the table):
We used a stanley knife to cut the plywood, and the DIY Dad used a tennant saw to cut the notches (he really wanted to use a saw at some point, why deny him that joy?):
We manouvred the plywood into the niches, and use a mallet to reattach the bed together (it’s held together by wooden dowels that I loosened to get the original plywood out):
Then DIY Dad applied 2 coats of varnish, and then 1 coat of a marine varnish (if anyone sleeps on the daybed, we don’t want the plywood to warp again as a result of the mattress getting condensation in it):
I still have to sand with wet and dry then apply the last layer of marine varnish, but I managed to catch a horror cold – it came on the day after we cut the plywood – so it will be another weekend or so before I apply that final coat.
Once that’s all done, it’s off to Clark Rubber to get a foam king single mattress cut down to size AND sew a new cover (at that point: working sewing machine will also need to be in place). Then – finally – the daybed will make a treck up to its new home in DIY Dad’s beach house.