One of the jobs on my 2017 New Year’s Houseolutions list was to paint the external window frames. Given I did the front and back doors in the early part of my holidays, and was looking for things I could do without DIY Dad assistance, external window frames seemed achievable.
I had scrape, sand, then use a rust converter on some of them, as they had spot rust, then prime them twice and then do 2 topcoats on them. On top of this, I had to work around when the sun hits some of these windows and also when it was too hot during the day to paint plus a 16 hour drying time between coats.
So I split the windows into 3 groups: back windows except the studio window (I couldn’t unscrew the bolt keeping that window shut, so had to wait until DIY Dad was free to unscrew it), the front windows and the studio and office windows. The back windows are pretty shaded, they get the sun from about 4.30pm onwards. The front window get the sun until 2pm by which time it’s too hot to paint, but if you get up super early (like 5am) you can paint them while the sun is lower in the sky and it’s not as hot. The side window (the office window) gets the sun from about 1pm onwards.
This is a little like one of those awful physics questions, but what it meant was that if I was painting several of these groups in a day, it had to be done in the following order:
- Front windows
- Side window
- Back windows (or if I missed the window before it got too hot, I could come back and do these at 3.30-4.00pm, or after 7.00pm at night)
Back windows, looking from the bathroom, across the newly painted back door and window (they were wood), to the kitchen and on to the dining room window:
The back windows where the first to be started. I used the extra wide blue painters masking tape for the windows as some of the window parts are quite narrow, and I didn’t want to have to clean a lot of paint off the glass if I could help it.
It is a commonly acknowledged fact that to fix something around your house, before it’s fixed everything has to get a lot messier.
My front windows took ~45 minutes to an hour to mask, so I started each group of windows in waves.
In case you wondered: I used 3 x 54.8m long rolls of masking tape. That’s 164.4m of window panes that I masked. That’s beyond a shed load of masking tape, into a f*ck load of masking tape.
And once I masked them, I had to paint them x 4 times, waiting 4 hours till they were touch dry and I could close the window, and 16 hours before I could recoat. Once the last coat was on and dry, I then had to remove the portion of the 164.4m of masking tape on those panes of glass. It was an epic job.
I suspect I would be feeling a warm sense of fulfilment at a job well done, if I wasn’t feeling so tired right now.
I’ve also painted the gas meter box (also metal) in the same colour (did that when I did the front windows). One day I will take a photo so you can admire my matchy-matchy painting skills. In the meantime, here’s a photo of the front with the windows complete and the masking tape just removed.
So…15 days into 2017, and one New Year Houseolution = done AND my epic holiday window painting (exterior) task = done. I look forward to a world where I am not moving ladders, chairs or milk crates holding a 1L can of paint in one hand, and a paint brush in the other. I look forward to not having to think about temperatures and angles of the sun throughout the day. I look forward to not having to clean up with turps. Mostly I just look forward to not using my arms for a while.